I’ve moved to WordPress. This post can now be found at The Basis For The HADSST Discontinuity/Blip Corrections?
############THE CREATION OF A NEW MINI HOCKEY STICK?Emails from Phil Jones reveal that, in the new HADSST3 dataset, the dip and rebound from 1945 to 1955 will be biased upwards. See Figure 1. I’ve highlighted the period of 1945 to 1955. The clarification was made in an email from Phil Jones to Tom Wigley dated September 28, 2009. Jones wrote, in part: “Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but the adjustments won't reduce the 1940s blip but enhance it. It won't change the 1940-44 period, just raise the 10 years after Aug 45.” Refer to:
http://www.eastangliaemails.com/emails.php?eid=1017&filename=1254147614.txt
Figure 1
But why go through all the trouble to rewrite the global SST record?
The November 10, 2009 email from Phil Jones to Gil Campo reveals the basis for part of the corrections that will be included in the HADSST3 update. Link to email:
http://www.eastangliaemails.com/emails.php?eid=1069&filename=1257874826.txt
#############
From: Phil Jones p.jones@xxxxxxxxx.xxx
To: Gil Compo compo@xxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Re: Twentieth Century Reanalysis preliminary version 2 data - One other thing!
Date: Tue Nov 10 12:40:26 2009
Gil,
One other good plot to do is this. Plot land minus ocean. as a time series.
This should stay relatively close until the 1970s. Then the land should start moving away
from the ocean.
This departure is part of AGW. The rest is in your Co2 increases.
Cheers
Phil
############
The difference between global land and ocean for the existing datasets (CRUTEM3 and HADSST2) is illustrated in Figure 2. I hope there were more reasons to update the SST data than to create a 0.08 deg C hockey stick. Personally, I was hoping they were going to clean up the ENSO related SST data before 1950.
Figure 2
SOURCE
The CRUTEM3 and HADSST2 data are available through the KNMI Climate Explorer:
http://climexp.knmi.nl/selectfield_obs.cgi?someone@somewhere